Testing Paper Prototype
March 12, 2013 5 Comments
Last Tuesday, we started testing our paper prototype!
First we used four test-persons to evaluate our prototype. There were some remarks that occurred at least two times with different users :
- The logo on our main page was way too big, looked like a button and distracted the users from the actual functionality.
- The Tip-it plug-in logo on the browser was too big. This space is very valuable!
- The preview of a Tip wasn’t very clear to the user. Was it the site? Was it a picture?
- There was no management for the concept ‘friends’. Who are the persons you can Tip to?
- There was no options menu to change the settings.
For all these problems, we provided an appropriate solution:
- The logo on the main page is smaller and moved to the top right corner.
- The logo of the plug-in is more compact. The disadvantage of this solution is the fact that the functionality is less clear.
- The problem of the preview was due to the fact that the prototype was on paper. We couldn’t express on paper that this preview was auto-completed after you filled in the URL of the tip. We keep in mind to test this problem with our digital prototype.
- We added functionality to manage your friends. These persons are the ones who you can Tip to and receive Tips from. Tip-It will work with friend requests that will have to be accepted or denied. This also solves the problem that people are afraid of being spammed.
- We provided a button to adjust your settings like your name or password.
With these changes included, we tested our prototype on another three test-persons. There came up some small remarks, like for example a missing cancel button. But the main problem was the new friends functionality. The users didn’t understand what the purpose of the little cross and the small logo next to user’s names was (tipping them and removing them as friend). We will consider this problem in the next iteration of our prototype (digital or on paper).
The interesting thing about the second iteration was that the new big problems were only discovered on the new functionality. This functionality was actually just tested for the first time, so it makes perfectly sense that the big remarks were due to this part of the application.
Next, we will digitalize our prototype! More about this in the next post!
Feel free to give us some ‘Tips’ on our design!